Monday, October 25, 2010

Book Meme

1. Favorite childhood book?
The Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum

2. What are you reading right now?
Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
- A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
- Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Two of the three books I have on hold have baked goods in their titles. What does that say about me?

4. Bad book habit?
I have many, unfortunately. My worst would probably be reading in the bathtub. I’m ashamed to admit that most of my books show some sort of water damage.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
- Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
- Fanciful Quilts to Paper Piece by Wendy Vosters
- Hazard by Jo Beverley
- Jesus the Christ by James E Talmage on CD
- Little Shop of Horrors sheet music
- The Tony Awards Songbook sheet music
- Teddy Bear Redwork by Jan Rapacz

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Absolutely not

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Almost always one at a time. When I read, I like to completely immerse myself in the world created by the author. You can’t really do that when you read more than one book at once.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I think my reading habits have definitely changed. I’ve started analyzing the books that I read much more deeply. I also seem to be more purposeful in watching for beautiful language, instead of just skimming over it.

9. Can you read on the bus?
Yes. But not in a car.

10. Favorite place to read?
As previously mentioned, the bathtub. Although I also love reading outside, especially in the spring.

11. What is your policy on book lending?
I only lend a book to a person if I know that I would be comfortable asking them to give it back.

12. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Yes. :( That’s another of my bad-book- habits.

13. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Absolutely. But only in pencil.

14. What is your favorite language to read in?
Um...English. Although I did read a few chapters of Harry Potter in French, once!

15. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Beautiful writing, believable characters, and a worthwhile plot. Also, I will never recommend a book that I felt was dirty or racy in some way.

16. Favorite genre?
Trade fiction.

17. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Biographies. I wish I had more patience with history books. I would love to learn more about the historical figures that I admire, but I cannot stand the dry writing style often found in biographies.

18. Have you ever read a self-help book?
From start to finish, no. I’ve read bits and pieces of several, though.

19. Favorite cookbook?
Anything from America’s Test Kitchen. I have never made a recipe from one of their cookbooks that has turned out badly.

20. Favorite reading snack?
I wish I could say carrots or rice cakes, but I must be honest and admit that my favorite reading snack is a warm chocolate chip cookie with glass of cold milk. Mmm.

21. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
Although I sometimes feel bad about doing it, it must be done. If a book is not good, I’m certainly not going to tell people that it is!

22. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

23. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

24. Favorite Poet?
Probably William Wordsworth, although I also LOVE William Blake.

25. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Usually like 10. I’m a book hog.

26. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
I usually return unread books, unfortunately. My policy is that if the f-word is used more than once, I immediately stop reading. Consequently, I usually have one book in every batch from the library that I can’t get past the first chapter in. It’s unfortunate that authors use such vulgar language so often. I really don’t see how they think such crude language improves their work!!

27. Favorite fictional character?
GAH, worst question ever! There are so many. How about top 5 female characters? (In no particular order.)
1. Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre. An amazing woman with strong moral fiber.
2. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejdice. I think that every woman admires Elizabeth Bennet because of her strength and her wisdom. She’s not an airhead like her sisters, and women like to think that intelligence counts for more than beauty! Elizabeth Bennet proves that it does. Also, she stands up for herself despite that fact that she is a woman. There are not many female characters from that time period who showed as much spine as Austen gave to Elizabeth. That is why I love her.
3. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. She kicks butt. The end.
4. Polly Milton from An Old Fashioned Girl. I think that the reason I love Polly so much is because I like to think that I’m a little bit like her.
5. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. C’mon. She’s a nerd with a wand!!!!!

30. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Basically anything except for a classic. It’s just too difficult to focus on classics when you’re on vacation.

31. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
TV. I simply cannot read when Dwight Schrute or Shawn Spencer is blaring in the background.

32. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
BBC's Pride and Prejudice. SOOOOO GOOOOOODDDD.

33. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It’s my favorite book in the series, and they completely butchered it. Terrible. Just terrible.

34. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never. Why would you do that??

35. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Theoretically, yes. In practice...Not so much.

36. Name a book that made you angry.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I won’t say why it made me angry in case anyone hasn’t read it yet, but for those who have read it...you know why. Grr.

This book meme is from the Booking Through Thursday blog

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you on the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, thing. It was also my favorite book in the series, and it was definitely a disappointing movie. They needed to do an extended edition of the movie or something, like they did with LOTR.

    ReplyDelete